The History of Lublin City Museum is located in the historic Kraków Gate.
Built by Kazimierz the Great after the Tatar invasion in 1341, it was one of the two gates within the city defensive walls. It has a fore gate since the middle of the 16th century. The subsequent storeys of the tower had been built until the 18th century. Throughout history, it shared the fate of the city, for example in 1575 it was burnt down in a fire which consumed almost all of Lublin. At the time of the Bonis Ordinis Commission, the building underwent renovation. The octagonal storey was then covered with a baroque tented roof finished with the royal monogram SAR (Stanislaus Augustus Rex), with the date of the renovation: 1782.
At the beginning of the 19th century, a painting of the Holy Mother was hung on the Gate from the side of Krakowskie Przedmieście, and in 1839 – from the side of the Old Town – a painting of St Anthony of Padua. The Kraków Gate was significantly damaged during World War II. In 1959, renovation and restoration works were started. The stone and brick decorations were unveiled and the interiors were adapted for museum purposes. From 1965, it housed the Historical Branch of the Lublin Museum, and since 1979, the Gate has been the location of the History of Lublin City Museum.