Learning about the place. History of the 3 Złota Street tenement and the family of Riabinin
The exhibition presents the history of the Riabinin family, who rendered great service not only to Lublin, but also to Polish science and culture. The tenement house became the property of a well-known Lublin family in the 2nd half of the 19th century. Jan Riabinin (1878–1942), archivist, historian, curator of the State Archives in Lublin, author of many historical studies and popularising articles on the past of his hometown, lived here in the interwar period. His works are highly appreciated by historians; he himself treated the research into the history of Lublin as a life mission.
The last owner of the tenement house was Sergiusz Riabinin (1918–1997), a respected biologist, academic teacher, poet and bibliophile. He was the first in Europe and the only one in Poland to undertake research in the field of phenology – science dealing with the seasonal rhythms of nature. He wrote many works in the field of environmental protection, entomology, ornithology, faunistics and didactics of biology. Together with his wife, Danuta, he developed the first biology textbook for the blind in Europe. His literary and scientific work continues to inspire the philosophy of nature and Franciscan ecology. In 1995, the Riabinins donated their house to the city for cultural purposes.