The pre-war collection of the Lublin Museum Library was lost during World War II. Gathering of a new set began again in 1949, and in 1956 the Library became an independent department.
Nowadays, it gathers books, magazines, special collections (catalogues, guides to artefacts and museum exhibitions), photographs, cartographic issues and own publications. Their chronological range is wide – from old prints to 19th-century and contemporary prints. As a specialist institution, its collections include general literature on museology and special literature related to the nature of the museum.
Due to the funds from the European Union and the Lublin Voivodeship Government, the Library was modernised in 2010–2012. People not employed by the Museum can access the collection only on site.