The Józef Czechowicz Museum has existed since 1968. It collects and presents collections in the field of 20th century literature.
The Literary Józef Czechowicz Museum is a branch of the National Museum in Lublin. The history of its creation dates back to the 1950s, when the local literary community conceived the idea of organising institutions to commemorate the profiles of outstanding writers associated with the region. In the article Ocalmy pamięć wielkich (Save the memory of the greats, 1957), Stanisław Fita and Lech Ludorowski proposed to create several museums in the region: Bolesław Prus in Nałęczów, Henryk Sienkiewicz in Wola Okrzejska, and Józef Czechowicz and Henryk Wieniawski in Lublin.
The proposal to establish an institution dedicated to Czechowicz was supported by Czechowicz’s friends who were still alive at the time: Feliks Araszkiewicz, Konrad Bielski, Wacław Gralewski and Kazimierz Andrzej Jaworski, who declared that they would donate their mementoes and books with the poet’s dedications. The idea was also kindly received by the municipal authorities. In the following years, the idea gradually took on more and more real shape. In 1963–1965, Tadeusz Kłak – the contemporary director of the Bolesław Prus Museum in Nałęczów – collected a large number of documents, letters and manuscripts by Józef Czechowicz and based on them the first draft of the permanent museum exhibition scenario.
The museum was opened on 9 September 1968, on the 29th anniversary of the poet’s death. For almost thirty years of its activity, it was located in a historic, former monastery building at 10 Narutowicza Street. In 1999, it lost its headquarters. After three years of working in the temporary headquarters, Wincenty Pol’s Manor, and the simultaneous renovation of the new premises, on 9 September 2002, the Museum inaugurated its activity in the tenement house at 3 Złota Street, donated to the city for cultural purposes by the Riabinin family from Lublin.