In the new building at ul. J. Piłsudskiego 7, the history of the 24th Cavalry Regiment is presented in three exhibition rooms. The unit was organized in 1920 during the Polish-Bolshevik war (initially as the 214th Volunteer Army Regiment). In 1939 – after being motorized – the regiment took part in the capture of Zaolzie. In September 1939, being part of the 10th Armored and Motorized Brigade, Col. dipl. Stanisław Maczek, the regiment fought in the south of Poland, incl. near Jordanów, Wysoka, Kasina Wielka, Rzeszów, Łańcut and Lviv. On September 19 he crossed the Hungarian border and the soldiers were interned in Hungary. As part of the Polish army in France organized in 1940, the regiment was partially reconstructed. During the French campaign he fought against the Nazis, incl. under Montbard.
The next country reached by the soldiers of the 24th regiment was England. In the British Isles, the unit was reorganized into an armored regiment and, as part of the 1st Armored Division of General Maczek, took part in the invasion of the continent in June 1944, liberating French, Belgian and Dutch cities. The regiment distinguished itself especially in the bloody battles at Falaise and Chambois. The combat trail ended in the German port of Wilhelmshaven. After the regiment was disbanded in 1947, the Colleagues’ Circle in London was established with the task of maintaining ties between the unit’s soldiers scattered around the world. Twice a year the “Communication of the 24th Lancers Regiment” was published, and in 1976 a monograph of the regiment was published in London. The regimental museum has over 2,000 exhibits and photographs. The most valuable are: a collection of several dozen uniforms with equipment, drawings, watercolors, paintings by famous artists of soldiers; a collection of personal memorabilia, decorations and photographs of a dozen or so lancers, including the last commander of the regiment, Col. dipl. T. Wysocki; photo albums, silver souvenir items, incl. candlesticks used during field masses, awards for participation in sports competitions. A significant part of the regimental archives, previously deposited at the Gen. Sikorski Institute and Museum in London (regimental records, numerous documents), stamps and stamps, a replica of the field banner funded by the former lancers and individual donors in 1978, original staff maps of the area Normandy.
The museum in Kraśnik became – next to the regiment’s circle – the second center integrating former lancers and supporters of the 24th Regiment. Apart from typical popularizing and teaching activities and publishing, the museum is a meeting place for “Uhlan memories” involving veterans. Since 1995, the museum has been editing and publishing the bulletin “Communication of the 24th Lancers Regiment”, with great financial and substantive support from the London Circle. The museum co-organizes the annual celebration of the 24th Cavalry Regiment, traditionally celebrated on July 6. On this occasion, the National Ułańska Feast “Przybyli Uhls …” is also organized.